[Lexicog] Lexicography software with dual output option?

evali_111 evali at LING.SU.SE
Mon Nov 26 17:14:19 UTC 2012

Dear all, I wonder if anyone is aware of a dictionary software (free or commercial) which allows you to maintain parallel forms / orthographic principles throughout your database, and to choose which version to output for a particular audience.

I am working on a dictionary of Kuot (non-Austronesian, Papua New Guinea) and I want to produce a linguists' version and a speakers' version. My Toolbox database is in linguist format (phonemic transcription etc), but for the speakers, a different orthography is needed and many forms need to be inflected to be recognized. The differences need to be consistently reflected not only in head words, but in cross-references, examples, words cited in definitions of other words (x is a part of *y*) etc.

I see no way of generating one from the other in post-processing, even with programmers' help, so the only way seems to be to manually maintain dual versions of everything in the main database. Trying to maintain two parallel databases does not seem like a viable option.

Further, I want the speakers' version organised by semantics (thesaurus) rather than alphabetically, so the software would preferably have support for this.

I also want to include many illustrations (and so far, Toolbox and LexiquePro seem to place these away from the word they relate to).

The linguists' version would be bilingual (Kuot-English); the speakers' version trilingual (Kuot-Tok Pisin-English), with Tok Pisin as the main language (in labels for cross-references etc).

Further, my current database is full of fields/tags for myself (CheckX, CheckY, Fix, AN-Loan? etc) and my work process is somewhat dependent on being able sort for these too (easy in Toolbox, but in LexiquePro I don't seem able to find them even by database search, much less browse by them).

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Eva Lindström

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com