[Lexicog] Malay - Indonesian lexicography

lorenzo tornedalen at YAHOO.ES
Tue Aug 27 20:32:52 UTC 2013

Hello
I am a professional freelance translator (sworn translator from English, French, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish into Spanish) with working knowledge of German, Dutch, Afrikaans and Italian. Right now I have made up my mind and begun to study Malay just for the sake of keeping brain busy in these times of social crisis and economic distress. I am writing down all the words and phrases I find in the textbooks I have already bought. I am not absolutely sure but maybe there is no Malay-Spanish dictionary and I would like to dare to try when I have advanced my study. My question to the members of the group:
1) main modern dictionaries (there is plenty of them on sale online but this is difficult to get an idea without seeing them and there is nothing available in the libraries I have access. I have bought
- Windstedt Malay-English unabridged and Dictionary of Colloquial Malay
- Oxford Fajar Kamus Dwibahasa (Hawkins) 1992
- Malay-English Dictionary (Board of Scholars - Penang University)
Wilkinson is available in archive org but the magnum opus of 1932 is just for sale in second-hand booksellers for more than 360 sterling pounds !
2)principles of organizing entries
- alphabetical
- or by roots
3)is it important to add etymological notes or it is best to leave this task to philologists, for a beginner the label Arabic or Javanese  or Sanskrit may be understood as the origin of the word or as the word is still not included in the common usage (do you find notes on etymology in bilingual dictionaries from German to English, for example?
4)Is it necessary to include the entries both in Latin script and in Jawi
5) What about pronunciation? IPA transcription or just an explanation in plain language?
6) Are there reference works dealing with differences in grammar and vocabulary and usage in Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Malay-speaking regions in other countries, Riau-Lingga or Patani?
I am already surprised by the entries in Oxford Fakar Kamus Dwibahasa:  entry in Malay, translation in English, explanation in English. I suppose that this is a useful strategy due to the special status of English in Malaysia but in a work aimed at Malaysians wanting to learn Spanish and Spanish wanting to learn Malay as expatriates I would rather to include just glosses and collocations

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com