[Lexicog] Long compound words

Lars Trap-Jensen ltj at DSL.DK
Wed Jun 5 07:37:08 UTC 2013

The other Germanic languages, of course, make use of similar compounds.
In Danish, the longest word I have heard of is
"Speciallægepraksisplanlægningsstabiliseringsperiode" (51 letters),
which was recorded in the Guiness Book of Records back in 1993.

According to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, German have had an even
longer official word of 67 letters
"Grundstücksverkehrsgenehmigungszuständigkeitsübertragungsverordnung",
but this word was dropped by the Bundesland Berlin in 2007.

Outside the Germanic languages, polysynthetic languages are well-known
for their capacity to form very long words. Inuit languages do so by
means of derivation, not compounding. One example is Greenlandic where
you can find a real tongue twister like the 94 letter word
"Nalunaarasuartaatilioqateeraliorfinnialikkersaatiginialikkersaatilillaranatagoorunarsuarooq".
It means something like: 'Yet again they attempted to build a giant
radio station, but apparently it was just on the drawing board'. As you
can see, when translated it must be rendered with a whole sentence.

Lars Trap-Jensen