[Lexicog] Re: Shading particles or modal particles (Abt=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=F6ningspartikel_?=in German) [1 Attachment]

Hayim Sheynin hayim.sheynin at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 12 20:05:21 UTC 2013

Dear Fritz,

Make a search on Google or Wikipedia of the kind
<Greek modal particle> and you will get a big variety
of the items, some with the reference to research
works. You can do the same  interchanging the name of
language in the search. Yes, as far as I know most of
ancient languages of various families had this kind of particles
or acquired them in the process of language contacts. Both
the number and the character (modal meaning) of these particles
varies in different languages and create definite problems
for translators. For example, most of Russian translations from
classical Greek tend to ignore such particles. In different
languages of the same genetic group there is completely
different situation in relation to modal particles. E.g. they are
relatively abundant in Greek, Arabic and Amharic, but almost
non existent in Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic.

Thank you for Bavarian picture.

Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin

P.S. I attach one of my latest articles published in Hamburg
I have in electronic copy only pre-publication text, but the
book already appeared in Baar Verlag.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Dr. Fritz Goerling <fritz.goerling at yahoo.de