[Lexicog] Re: Shading particles or modal particles (Abt=?UTF-8?Q?=C3=B6ningspartikel_?=in German)

Richard RHODES rrhodes at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jun 12 20:57:38 UTC 2013

Many Algonquian languages have Wackernagel particles, some quite a number,
but they are as much about focus as anything pragmatic. That's because
there's no contrastive stress. In the language I know best (Ojibwe), focus,
old/new information, and pragmatics are parceled out between word order and
particles. No one has fully studied this, but Conor Quinn presented an
interesting paper in which he claimed -- and I think he's right -- the
functions are identical between languages even though in many cases the
particles are not cognate.

Rich Rhodes

--

Richard A. Rhodes