[Lexicog] hidden lexical data

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 19 17:24:18 UTC 2013

What Bill describes is quite easy to implement in TshwaneLex using the filter function. That allows one to create a view of the database that includes (or excludes) only certain records. Bill's "status" field with its elaborations is quite easy to set up.

--Ken

________________________________
 From: Bill Poser <billposer2 at gmail.com>
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] hidden lexical data

In my databases I have a "status" field which can be used to determine whether or not a record is extracted for publication. It is not a simple binary flag because different records may be excluded from different publications. Values include: "vulgar", mostly sexual terminology, "questionable", where there is some problem with the information, and "private", which consists mostly of unconfirmed place names that are not to be released for the time being for reasons related to treaty negotiations. (There is also a small amount of information so sensitive that it is not in the database at all.)

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:08 PM, Ronald Moe <ron_moe at sil.org> wrote:

>FieldWorks allows you to exclude an entry
from publication. The entry remains in your database but isn’t exported.
>Ron Moe
>

>________________________________

2:56 AM
>To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [Lexicog] hidden lexical
data

>Sometimes we discover
lexical items which need to have a restricted status within the language and
academic communities. I want to be able to enter that data in my dictionary
program but it must be accessible only to those who are authorized to view it.

>Besides working as a
lexicographer for my job, I do genealogy as a hobby. My genealogy program
allows for certain kinds of information to be hidden from other viewers. I need
the same ability to hide certain kinds of lexical information.

>Have any of you
encountered this issue before?

>What solutions have
you found?

>Do you know of any
dictionary software that allows us to hide some information?