[Lexicog] Dictionary software

Benjamin Barrett benjaminbarrett85 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 29 01:13:18 UTC 2014

I'm not sure about the parser/generator part. As I said, Wiktionary allows you to write the rules so that when a verb or other POS is entered (with or without irregular forms), pages for each form is generated so the dictionary user can look up any form. That, of course, includes reduplication forms as well. You can see this by entering forms like eaten, vado, 行かない, etc., at https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki.

Unlike situations where a print dictionary is the object, I don't see variations in lexical categories as too critical for the Lushootseed project. The purpose of an online dictionary is widespread, easy access, and while consistency is of course desirable, access to good information is more important. 15 categories expanding to 118 is extreme, though; by monitoring new entries, we can hopefully cut issues like that in the bud by contacting editors and making changes to the entry templates.

As for inconsistencies in entries, by creating templates, those can be reduced, but the open format of Wiktionary is definitely a drawback in that respect. Again, though, I don't view missing fields or inconsistency in field order as primary in importance for this online project.

What I imagine is people learning their heritage language sitting at home and wondering how to say "travel by land," and they pull out their smartphone to get the word and hopefully they memorize the simple sample sentence provided while they're looking at the page.

Ben Barrett
La Conner, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos