[Lexicog] Re: Historical Lexicography

walterha@buffalo.edu [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Thu May 7 13:57:36 UTC 2015

Dear Ezgi,

 I am not very familiar with Turkish lexicography, but here are some works on Arabic, Persian, Sanskrit, and Urdu that you might find of use:
 Blochmann, Heinrich Ferdinand. “Contributions to Persian Lexicography.” Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Bengal 37, no. 1 (1868): 1-72.  Haywood, John A. Arabic Lexicography: Its History, and its Place in the General History of Lexicography. 2d ed. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1965.
 Huda, M. Z. “Pre-Mughal Persian Lexicographers of the Indo-Pak Subcontinent.” Journal of the Asiatic Society of Pakistan 13, no. 1 (1968): 27-47.

 Vogel, Claus. Indian Lexicography. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 1979.
 Patkar, Madhukar Mangesh. History of Sanskrit Lexicography. New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal, 1981.

 Faruqi, Shamsur Rahman. “Some Problems of Urdu Lexicography.” Annual of Urdu Studies 7 (1990): 21-30.

 Versteegh, Kees. The Arabic Linguistic Tradition. Vol. 3, Landmarks in Linguistic Thought. London: Routledge, 1997.

 Alam, Muzaffar. “The Pursuit of Persian: Language in Mughal Politics.” Modern Asian Studies 32, no. 2 (1998): 317-49.
 McGregor, R. S. The Formation of Modern Hindi as Demonstrated in Early Hindi Dictionaries. Amsterdam: Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie van Wetenschappem, 2000.
 Baevskii, Solomon I. Early Persian Lexicography: Farhangs of the Eleventh to the Fifteenth Centuries. Translated by N. Killian. Edited by John R. Perry. Honolulu: University of Hawa’ii Press, 2007.

 Kinra, Rajeev. “This Noble Science: Indo-Persian Comparative Philology, c. 1000-1800 CE.” In South Asian Texts in History: Critical Engagements with Seldon Pollock, edited by Yigal Bronner, Whitney Cox, and Lawrence J. McCrea, 359-85. Ann Arbor, MI: Association for Asian Studies, 2011.
 Truschke, Audrey. “Defining the Other: An Intellectual History of Sanskrit Lexicons and Grammars of Persian.” Journal of Indian Philosophy 40, no. 6 (2012): 635-68.
 If you can read Persian, I suggest that you also look at the work of Aḥmad Gulchīn-Ma‘nī. My forthcoming monograph, Negotiating Terms: Urdu Dictionaries and the Definition of Modern South Asia, discusses the history of Urdu lexicography in South Asia. You may also find my recent article a useful overview of other genres of lexicography in the Indian subcontinent:
 Hakala, Walter N. “On Equal Terms: The Equivocal Origins of an Early Mughal Indo-Persian Vocabulary.” Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society (Third Series) 25, no. 2 (2014): 209-27.

 Please keep us updated as this project develops!

 Best,
 Walt Hakala
 University at Buffalo