Re: [Lexicog] RE: IJL special issue on bilingual learners’ dictionaries: Call for Papers - extended

Nick Thieberger thien@unimelb.edu.au [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Mon May 18 06:28:21 UTC 2015

Dear Lexicographers,

Have you ever wanted to create a list of possible words in a language you
are working on? Have you started creating a dictionary but now need to find
words that are not yet recorded? This could be the app for you. *Word
Generator <http://paradisec.org.au/wordgen/wg.php>* is a free web service
that lets you upload a list of words that you know, together with a list of
consonants and vowels, like this:

Consonants: b, rd, d, k, g, j, rl, l, lh, ly, m, n, nh, ng, ny, rn, yh, r,
rr, n, ng, y, th, w
Vowels: a, aa, i, ii, u, uu

alardi
arinji
arlibala
[ … ]

Word Generator will generate a list of possible words based on this
information. It has a number of settings you can alter to adjust the degree
of probability, the number and the length of words you want to produce. You
can then ask speakers to look through the list to help them think of words
that are not already in the dictionary, and it could provoke useful
discussion about other forms and meanings.

Please try Word Generator and post any feedback to me.

Nick Thieberger

Word Generator is being written by Andreas Scherbakov as part of a project
funded by ARC Future Fellowship FT140100214

On 13 May 2015 at 00:50, Ilan Kernerman ilan at kdictionaries.com