[Lexicog] power of nasal consonant

Patrick C patrick.chew@gmail.com [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Wed Oct 28 01:05:02 UTC 2015

To dovetail with previous answers, Korean shows the following:

Sino-Korean
sam ri > sam ni "three ri ('miles')" (三里 삼리)
haeng-ri > haeng-ni "luggage" (行李 행리) [obs.?]

native-Korean:
<-pnita> = [-mnida] -ㅂ니다
formal polite verb ending, eg:
ha- "to do" > hamnida 합니다

other verb endings that cause the same sandhi effect:
<-ni> : <ka-ss-ni> = [kanni] (갔니 "(you) went?")

<-ne> :  <eops-ne> = [eomne] (없네 "there isn't any...")

<-neun-> : <meok-neun-de> = [meongneunde] (먹는데 "even though X eat(s)")

cheers,
-Patrick

Apologies for typos - typed with my thumbs and subject to autocorrect in the most amusing of ways. (i.e. on my iPhone)