[Lexicog] power of nasal consonant

Mike Cahill Mike_Cahill@sil.org [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Wed Oct 28 14:33:01 UTC 2015

Interesting data!

I can see the /pn/ à [m] preserves both the place of the /p/ and the
nasality of the /n/. There’s different ways this could be formally analyzed
with rules or constraints. Whether 1)  /p/ à [m] before /n/, and then /n/
disappears, or 2) /n/ à [m] after /p/, and then /p/ disappears, or 3) some
other merging operation, needs more data to figure out. Are there other
cases similar to this, or is it limited to this one word?

Also interesting is the directionality. It seems you do NOT get:

ma    tapna  tam    lak-i 'He comes very slowly'.

Right?

As for further insights/analysis, it depends on what your goal is. If you’d
like to understand it more deeply, perhaps for a write-up or paper, then
great – keep asking, and perhaps someone could guide you through the
questions you’d need to answer to figure out the process. If it’s just to
have a general idea of what’s going on, then you may not need much more.

Grace to you,

Mike Cahill