[Lexicog] power of nasal consonant

maxwell maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Wed Oct 28 21:04:13 UTC 2015

This is a common process in Austronesian languages, I believe.  A couple
examples of coalescence (but not of nasal + stop) are given here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assimilation_%28linguistics%29#Coalescence_.28fusion.29

and a description of nasal + stop "substitution" here:

http://people.umass.edu/pater/ausnasrev.pdf

(It's written in an OT framework, but the data is presented reasonably
clearly.)
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"I cannot believe that our existence in this universe
	is a mere quirk of fate, an accident of history, an
	incidental blip in the great cosmic drama. Our
	involvement is too intimate. The physical species
	Homo may count for nothing, but the existence of
	mind in some organism on some planet in the universe
	is surely a fact of fundamental significance. Through
	conscious beings the universe has generated
	self-awareness." --Paul Davies

On 10/28/2015 10:35 AM, 'SIEGEL, Jason' jason.siegel at cavehill.uwi.edu

Posted by: maxwell <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu>

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com