about OBJ(theta) as a controller

Alex Alsina fasaa at leonis.nus.sg
Sat Apr 20 02:42:50 UTC 1996

Lori Levin gives some motivation for the claim that OBJ(theta) should be
grouped with OBL(theta) on the basis that both kinds of grammatical
functions are restricted to specific thematic roles:

> OBJ(theta) shares some properties with OBJ and some properties with
> OBL(theta).  The property it shares with OBJ is its syntactic encoding
> without a semantically restricted preposition or case marker.  The
> property it shares with OBL(theta) is its restrictions in linking only
> to specific semantic roles.

The claim that OBJ(theta) is restricted in linking only to specific
thematic roles is true for English, at least, true for the analyses of
English that treat the second object in ditransitive constructions as
being obligatorily an OBJ(theta).  In such analyses, the OBJ(theta) can
only be a theme or patient role, whereas the OBJ can be a goal or a
beneficiary, as well as a theme or patient.  On the basis of these
analyses of English, one could claim that the OBJ(theta) can link to a
proper subset of the semantic roles that an OBJ (or a SUBJ) can link to.
This claim received some cross-linguistic support from the analysis of
the Bantu language Chichewa (and possibly other languages), in which the
OBJ(theta), although not so restricted thematically as its English
counterpart (as it can link to instrumentals and locatives, in addition
to themes and patients), is still restricted to link to a proper subset
of the semantic roles that the OBJ can link to.  The OBJ can also link to
goals, beneficiaries, and agents.

Assuming that all languages could fit into the English and Chichewa
pattern, there would be some motivation for the idea that both OBJ(theta)s
and OBL(theta)s are semantically restricted.  Even so, if this grouping
is supposed to have some theoretical significance, there should be
principles, generalizations, rules, what have you, that treat these two
types of grammatical functions as a class.  I haven't seen any such
principle, etc.

Anyway, the major problem for the claim that OBJ(theta) is semantically
restricted in that it links to a proper subset of the roles that the OBJ
links to came out of the analyses that Gregorio Firmino did of the Bantu
language Gitonga and that Carolyn Harford did of the Bantu language
Kitharaka, more or less at the same time.  (Carolyn's work was published
in 1991 "Object Asymmetries in Kitharaka", BLS 17: Special Session, pp.
98-105; Gregorio's work, I believe remains unpublished, although I would
like someone to correct me if I'm wrong.)  Both of these analyses argue,
very conclusively in my opinion, that in both Kitharaka and Gitonga there
is a need to distinguish between OBJ and OBJ(theta) and that the
OBJ(theta) has the same range of thematic roles as the OBJ.  In other
words, in these two languages the OBJ(theta) does not link to a proper
subset of the thematic roles that the OBJ links to: it links to the same
set of roles as the OBJ.

Given this, the claim that OBJ(theta) is semantically restricted is only
true for some languages and thus cannot be proposed as a universal
characterization of the OBJ(theta).  Sometimes people working within LFG
fault theories and analyses in other frameworks for being parochial, that
is, for proposing notions that are narrowly motivated by the facts of
a small number of languages (generally, English) for the analysis of all
languages, even though there are languages that can be shown not fit into
the proposed scheme.  We don't want our proposals to suffer from this
defect, do we?

Finally, a note about the subscripted (theta).  Isn't it high time we got
rid of it?  It appears to me to be some kind of intrusion of semantics
into the representation of syntax.  A framework that claims to factor out
different types of information into different formal types or levels of
representation has no need for such leakages of information.  In the
initial stages in the development of LFG, people concentrated almost
exclusively on the strictly syntactic aspects, the c-structure and the
f-structure.  Lexical semantics (or lexical conceptual structure, or
whatever) was out there, but no one got near it.  So, at this point it
was understandable that certain semantic notions should show up in the
f-structure.  As time went by, people started thinking of ways of
representing semantics alongside the syntactic levels.  At present, I
don't think anyone believes thematic roles should be in f-structure:
thematic roles (or what may correspond to them) should be represented at
some level of semantic structure.  Given that the f-structure and the
semantic structure should be linked, it would be unnecessary to specify
the thematic role of an oblique in the f-structure, since this
information should be found in the semantic structure.

Alex Alsina

fasaa at leonis.nus.sg