PRED-features

Alex Alsina fasaa at leonis.nus.sg
Fri Jun 14 06:47:34 UTC 1996

Ah, now I see the problems that Avery Andrews is having with the PRED
feature.  Once you have introduced the features REL and ARGS into the
picture, it makes no sense to still have a PRED sitting around waiting
for some function to fall on it.  In a sense you have renamed PRED as REL
and ARGS.  Therefore, the role of PRED is taken up by REL and ARGS and
there is no reason to keep PRED around.  (See relevant citation below
from Avery Andrews' latest msge.)

> One specific idea would to to see PRED as an abbreviation
> for an LCS attribute (corresponding pretty closely to the REL of
> Andrews and Manning 1993) whose value is the lcs for a lexical item,
> and an ARGS attribute whose value is its argument-structure.

It seems to me that an obvious function of the PRED feature, and possibly
the only one, would be to represent the argument structure, as some
people currently assume.  But if you choose to represent the argument
structure as the attribute of the feature ARGS, then you should seriously
consider waving PRED a last goodbye.  I don't think this is a major
problem, just a terminological one.  It's worthwhile making our
terminological choices clear, so as to avoid misunderstanding each other
and treating terminological differences as differences in content.

Alex Alsina