What about the PRED features?

Joan Bresnan bresnan at csli.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 14 15:42:33 UTC 1996

[Re: Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:10:51 +0100
To: lfg at lists.Stanford.EDU
From: Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>]

> The exchanges about PRED have been fascinating. Joan Bresnan's contribution
> (below) suggests that PRED is a formalisation of the notion `head of
> phrase'. Would that be a fair interpretation?

LFG has two different concepts of head, the c-structure head and the
f-structure head.  These need not coincide.  I think that the
f-structure head most closely matches the concept of head in
dependency grammar, and it is the source of the PRED.  (Ignoring here
multiheaded structures, such as serial verbs, complex predicates, and
the like.)

JB