stumped? Or just can't be bothered?!

Paul Roochnik roochnik at styx.ios.com
Thu Jun 20 16:42:49 UTC 1996

On 12 June I posed the following question:

> Please consider the following verb-less exclamation:
>
> "What a short book!"
>
> How would you analyze this sentence in terms of F-structure?

Since, after 8 days, an answer has yet to come, we may draw 1 of the
following conclusions:

1. The question stumped the entire LFG brain trust.
2. The LFG experts simply could not be bothered with such a dumb question.
3. This list does not concern itself with practical questions, only
   theoretical issues, which only the experts are qualifed to discuss.

Which conclusion fits?

And by the way, if you missed the question 8 days ago and would like to
take a crack at it, I will still welcome your advice.  Does "extra
credit" interest you?  Yes?  Good!  How would you analyze the following
sentence in LFG f-structure?

"The manager arrived, then the teacher."

Thanks and cheers from Paul.