Monotonicity in quantifiers

J.L. Sancho, INSTITUTO DE LEXICOGRAFIA sancho at crea.rae.es
Mon May 27 09:58:26 UTC 1996

Dear listers:

Fortuitously, I happen to be faced with increasing/decreasing monotonicity
in quantifiers and, being absolute beginner on the field, I would like to
ask you all some questions:

1.- Which is the relevant and updated litterature? (I have been only
referred to Ladusaw's 1981 and Barwise and Cooper's 1981 works).

2.- More specifically, does anyone know any work on monotonicity in
Spanish quantifiers, specially comparatives? I am concretely looking
for syntactic effects derived from this distinction (similar to
the English contrasts in (i)-(iii)).

3.- To you English native speakers: Which is the exact meaning of (i)-(iii)

(i) Every student who ever read anything about phrenology attended Gall's
lecture
(ii) No student who ever read anything about phrenology attended Gall's
lecture
(iii) No student who attended Gall's lecture had ever read anything
about phrenology

What I want to know is whether you paraphrase the meaning of (i) as (iv) or
(v) below

(iv) Every student who ever read some book about phrenology attended
Gall's lecture
(v) Every student who never read no book about phrenology attended Gall's
lecture

4.- Are the following grammatical?

(vi) A student who ever read anything about phrenology attended Gall's
lecture
(vii) A student who attended Gall's lecture had ever read anything about
phrenology

Any other information related to this kind of things will be wellcome.
Please, answer directly to sancho at crea.rae.es. I will post the usual summary.

Thank you very much INDEED.

Jose Luis Sancho.