COMP

Judith Berman judith at kauz.ims.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Sep 11 07:59:52 UTC 1996

Hi,

I was away for a week and on returning I saw the discussion in
reaction to part of my presentation in Grenoble.

I just wanted to mention that the idea that syntactic functions like
SUBJ, OBJ, OBJ-th can be realized either nominally or sententially is
implemented in the German LFG-grammar in Stuttgart. The implementation
is documented in Berman/Frank (1996): Deutsche und franzoesische
Syntax im Formalismus der LFG. Tuebingen.
In this documentation I argue against the function COMP/XCOMP and the
categorial realization of the syntactic functions is triggered by
features.
However working on extraction in German showed that the distinction
between a nominal and a sentential argument is relevant at the level
of f-structure and the function COMP/XCOMP is one way to make this
distinction.

Judith Berman