Case marking in the absence of agreement

dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu
Fri Apr 25 15:51:00 UTC 1997

It is *usually* the case that verbs will agree with subjects before objects
and that objects will be case marked before verbs, expressed informally
via the implications in (i) and (ii):

(i) object agreement ---> subject agreement
(ii) overt nominative case marking ---> overt objective case marking

Does anyone know of studies that look at implication (ii) in languages
without any verb agreement morphology, i.e. without subject OR object
agreement? That is, does (ii) hold if the language lacks agreement?

Also, in languages which have been claimed to violate (i), is (ii) also
violated?

Please reply to me directly if you have any information on these
questions and I will post a summary of responses.

Thanks,

-- DLE

Dan Everett
Department of Linguistics