the stuff between the commas

LFG List dalrympl at parc.xerox.com
Mon Aug 4 20:02:23 UTC 1997

Dear LFG Friends,

Since I posted this question about a month ago,
I have not had any takers.  Would anybody out
there like to take a stab at it?  Here it goes:

I have run into problems analyzing the stuff between
the commas.  Call it apposition, or call it whatever,
but once again, I am stumped.  Without going into
great detail, how might we figure out the C-structure
and, more importantly, the F-structure?  Do you know
if sentences such as these are analyzed in any LFG
text books?  Anyhow, here they come:

1.  The airplane, I believe, arrived.
2.  By God, and God is almighty, you bought the car!
3.  We, the undersigned, protest.
4.  At the show are cars, if you are interested, imports.
5.  The friend is Peter, may God bless him.

I eagerly await your opinions and suggestions.
Thanks in advance from Abu Sammy.