LFG List - query on LIH

Daniel L. Everett dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu
Tue Mar 31 23:52:00 UTC 1998

I wonder if there are more recent works 'defending' the Lexical Integrity
Hypothesis than the Bresnan & Mchombo piece in NLLT 95?

Facts from Wari' seem to suggest that Lexical Integrity may be a violable
constraint. I wonder if anyone has proposed diagnostics for LI beyond
those of B&M's article.

Any pointers would be appreciated as I think through the issues and the
facts. (The facts that concern me are discussed briefly in my chapter on
Wari' in the Handbook of Morphology and in various sections of the new
Routledge grammar of Wari'.)

Dan Everett
Department of Linguistics
University of Pittsburgh
2816 CL
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Phone: 412-624-8101; Fax: 412-624-6130
http://verb.linguist.pitt.edu/~dever

"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is
in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot
stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is
well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore."
-- Mark Twain