Switch-reference question

Yehuda N. Falk msyfalk at mscc.huji.ac.il
Tue Nov 30 20:20:59 UTC 1999

Dear LFGers,

I am interested in finding a language which displays "syntactic ergativity"
and has a switch-reference system. By syntactic ergativity, I mean stuff
like S and P (O) arguments being raised, being controlled, being
relativizable, being chained in coordinated clauses, to the exclusion of
the A argument.

I have not found any examples of syntactically ergative + switch-reference
languages in the literature. Assuming they exist, I'm interested in whether
the switch-reference system targets S and A or S and P.

Thanks muchly.

                             Yehuda N. Falk
                        (until 4 February 2000:)
             Department of Linguistics, Stanford University
                        Stanford, California, USA
                             (permanent:)
        Department of English, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
                      Mt. Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel

                         msyfalk at mscc.huji.ac.il
            until 4 February also: yfalk at leland.stanford.edu
       Personal Web Site    http://pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il/~msyfalk/
      Departmental Web Site    http://atar.mscc.huji.ac.il/~english/

"And because,  in all the galaxy, they had found  nothing more precious than
Mind,  they  encouraged  its dawning everywhere.  They became farmers in the
fields of stars; they sowed, and sometimes they reaped." --Arthur C. Clarke,
2001: A Space Odyssey