dominance

LFG List msyfalk at mscc.huji.ac.il
Sun Oct 24 03:34:01 UTC 1999

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:37:37 +1000 (EST)
From: Avery Andrews <andaling at pretty.anu.edu.au>
To: LFG at LINGUIST.LDC.UPENN.EDU, fridmar at mail.cosapidata.com.pe
Subject: Re: dominance

Poking around some more in my older books, I find that Ginsberg (1966)
`the Mathematical Theory of Context Free Languages' does indeed define
trees using sets of sequences of whole numbers, but also that
Chomsky (1961) `On the notion: "Rule of Grammar"' (in Fodor & Katz,
_The Structure of Language_, also in _Proceedings of the Twelfth
Symposium in Applied Mathematics_) does use trees (described as
labelled brackettings rather than P-markers), and even defines `dominance',
but what gets defined as dominance is just the `rewrites as' relation
for a rewriting system:

 \phi dominates \psi (\phi \doublearrow \psi) if there is a derivation
 \sig_1, .. \sig_n such that \sig_1 = \phi and \sig_n=\psi.

This is not what people normally mean by `dominates' because its not
relativized to a specific structure, where for example S might dominate
the sequence `John to like pizza' in the structure for one example but
not for another.

So the issue is indeed confused....

  - Avery.Andrews at anu.edu.au