Relative clauses -- TOPIC or FOCUS?

Joan Bresnan bresnan at csli.Stanford.EDU
Tue Mar 21 15:23:09 UTC 2000

Dick's observations of English relative clauses targetting an
existential NP are not exceptions to Chiba's generalization about
relative vs. interrogative pronouns in English, because none of them
has a relative pronoun.  Witness:

 > (1)  Everything that there was in the garden was beautiful.

In (1) `that' is the invariable complementizer.  A relative pronoun is
much worse: cf. `??everything which there was in garden was beautiful'.

 > (2)  There wasn't much in his house, but what there was [free relative, not
 > interrogative], was tasteful.

In (2) `what' is not a relative pronoun.  The heads of free relatives
are indefinite, including a full series of forms `how(ever)',
`what(ever)' that cannot be used as relative pronouns in Standard
English (e.g. `*the way how he did it was amazing').

 > (3)  All the students that there used to be in the house next door have
 > gone away.

See comments on (1): cf. *`all the students who there used to be in
house next door have gone away'

Dick's concluding remark:

 >                                    Maybe there's some
 > other reason for the badness of Joan's example; but notice that whatever
 > other reason there may be [!!] must be a good one.

Here `whatever' can't possibly be a relative pronoun, because it
PRECEDES the optional `that' that sometimes occurs in these
constructions, as noted by Bresnan and Grimshaw:  cf. `whatever other
reason that [!] there may be must be a good one'.

The Chichewa patterns cited by Bresnan and Mchombo
in Lg (1987) make the point very clearly that topicality is
grammaticalized in the language, and is expressed within the relative
clause.

Joan