References for pseudo-passives in LFG

George Aaron Broadwell gb661 at csc.albany.edu
Mon Nov 6 21:10:28 UTC 2000

Dear colleagues,

I was surprised to discover that in addition to a standard passive,
Kaqchikel also allows a very wide range of pseudo-passives, along the
following lines:

1.) Maria x-u-ju' ri wä'y chupan ri qum.
Maria put     the tortillas in   the atol.

'Maria put tortillas in the atol (a kind of gourd).'

2.) Ri qum x-ju-x 	   ri wä'y chupan roma' Maria.
the atol com-put-pass  the tortilla  in   by      Mary

'The atol was put tortillas in by Mary.'

Other examples in translation (Kaqchikel available on request):

'Maria was had a party for by her parents'
'Maria was passed judgment on by the judge'
'The table was put the basket under by Mary'

I translate them with passives because the verb clearly shows passive
morphology in all cases.  Standard passives of the OBJ --> SUBJ kind are
also available with exactly the same verb morphology and the same types of
by-phrases.

Unlike the English cases of pseudo-passive which have a very restricted
applicability, the Kaqchikel pseudo-passives seem quite productive.  There
is also no evidence for any kind of applicative morphology which has
"advanced" the objects of the prepositions.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or pointers to a discussion of how to treat
passives of this sort in LFG.

Aaron
George Aaron Broadwell,  g.broadwell at albany.edu
Anthropology; Linguistics and Cognitive Science,
University at Albany, SUNY, Albany, NY 12222 | 518-442-4711
Web page: http://www.albany.edu/anthro/fac/broadwell.htm