Adverb position and verb raising

Joan Bresnan bresnan at csli.Stanford.EDU
Thu Apr 4 22:30:36 UTC 2002

Aaron, You raise an interesting point.  Recent LFG work (Toivonen's
Stanford dissertation, Sells's CSLI monograph, Berman's Stuttgart
dissertation, are examples that come immediately to mind) has argued
for V positioning outside of VP, and used adverb positioning as
evidence (among other arguments).  You raise the question of whether
the structure-function mapping theory I propose (2001) entails this
analysis, for configurational languages, at least.

I think your argument that a flat structure [V Adv NP] is ruled out by
one of my formulations of the principles is correct: adjuncts only get
their annotations by being adjoined to some phrasal node.
But I don't think my princples rule out structures like the following:

i)           VP

             V'
            / \
          V'   NP
         / \
        V'  AdvP

ii)          VP

             V'
            / \
          V    NP
         / \
        V   AdvP

Either of these structures would would allow a VP-internal verb,
adverb, and object in that order.  But if you can rule them out for
Hebrew, then your argument would go through, I think.

Note that Ida Toivonen has argued that the theory I give in my book is
too weak, though.  IIRC, her theory would disallow (i).  Also, Louisa Sadler
in her work on Welsh and Peter Sells in his monograph on object shift
in Swedish in OT-LFG have argued for constraints on structures like
(ii).

HTH,

J.