Predicate Clefts in LFG

Joan Bresnan bresnan at STANFORD.EDU
Thu Nov 13 06:25:14 UTC 2003

Hi Seth.

In my textbook, pp. 247-8, there is a brief discussion and analysis of a possibly relevant
Icelandic construction which I call "focussed complement extraposition" (`Sigga's opinion is
that self lacks talent'--due to Joan Maling).  These constructions show connectivity effects
which I capture with f-structure sharing, and would be relevant to similar connectivity effects
in pseudo-cleft constructions, I think.

If, however, by "predicate clefts" you mean the kind of  West African construction discussed
by Hilda Koopman  in her book on verb raising, the above discussion would not be helpful.

Perhaps you can explain a little more about your focus of interest?

Joan