Predicate Clefts in LFG [Warning: long and possibly boring]

Joan Bresnan bresnan at csli.Stanford.EDU
Sun Nov 16 20:33:29 UTC 2003

Hi, Ash.  As I mentioned in my msg to Seth, I've just now had time to
read through the conversation.  I like your proposed solution to the
verb-focusing problem, which appears not only in predicate clefting,
but also wherever verbs fill a focus position, with or without
copying/extraction (Wambaya comes to mind as an example).  By focusing
the PRED, rather than the f-structure of the V, one avoids the big
circular f-structures that would arise and one also isolates the verb content
itself for focusing.  Nice idea!  So when a verb is focused by
extraction into a focus position (rather than by predicate clefting),
we could have---by means of  (^ PRED) = ((... ^)FOCUS) if we go inside-out:

     [ FOCUS [ ]_i
       S ["john"]
       PRED [REL eat]_i
       O ["salt"]]

If the constraints on the extraction variable "..." are universal, it
is probably not necessary to write them into each grammar description.

J.