Long distance dependencies and the unaccusative/unergative distinction

Mary Dalrymple mary at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Mon Aug 9 13:32:37 UTC 2004

This is really interesting.  I am not sure the -r approach would work,
since I don't see how it would rule out extraction from transitive
subjects.

Could it be that the "object" of a transitive verb is really a subject,
as is the subject of an unergative, so that the generalization is about
extraction from subjects?  This would make Copala Trique a syntactically
ergative language.  Or could it be that the generalization is about
thematic roles rather than grammatical functions?  It would be
interesting to see more examples.

 - Mary