Davies, 1988

Paul Kroeger paul_kroeger at gial.edu
Fri May 20 15:04:40 UTC 2005

Does anyone know whether a reply from an LFG viewpoint was ever published
(or even written) to the following article?

Davies, William D.  1988.  The case against functional control.  Lingua,
76(1):1-20.

Bill himself wrote me the following note:

"The only response I ever got on that was discussion with Chris Culy when he
was
still on the faculty here.  He said that at the time I wrote the paper there
was no answer within LFG but in years since the theory had changed in a way
that would allow an out from this difficulty (I don't remember what he said
it
was at this point, and I haven't kept up with LFG).  He was going to write
it
up at one point, but I don't know if he ever did."

The crucial question is why we don't find more languages like Icelandic,
where quirky case is preserved under functional control; why don't we find
the same pattern in Malayalam etc.?  Any references or thoughts on how to
answer this would be most welcome.  Thanks,

Paul Kroeger