theta hat symbol

Andrew Carnie carnie at U.Arizona.EDU
Sun Apr 29 03:28:24 UTC 2007

Hi All,

This will really depend on what word processor you are using. It's
probably pretty easy in LaTeX, but for us mere mortals who struggle by in
MSWord it's much hard.

I was playing about with this just the other day and couldn't find a great
solution. I was trying unicode fonts (like Arial for PC or Lucida or times
for Mac).

The best I'm able to come up with is typing latin small letter barred o
(unicode 0275; UTF8 C9 B5), followed by combining diacritic circumflex
(unicode 0302; UTF8 CC 82). It doesn't look great, but it's better than
trying real theta (unicode 03B8; UTF8 CE 88) which overlaps with the
combining diacritic. I tried using the theta in different font sizes than
the circumflex, but then the diacritic doesn't line up right.

You could also try "raising" the circumflex over the theta by
selecting just the circumflex and marking it as being raised by 2 points,
but that will screw up the line spacing in Word.

Best,

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Rachael Younger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've looked through all the font lists I have and can't find a 'theta hat'
> symbol.  Does anyone have one I could cut-and-paste?
>
> Thanks,
> Rachael Younger

	/ \			Andrew Carnie, Ph.D.
       /   \	  		Assoc. Professor of Linguistics
     	  / \    		Department of Linguistics
     	 /   \			Douglass 200E, University of Arizona
    	    / \			Tucson, AZ 85721
	   /   \
				Tel: (520) 621 2802  Cell: (520) 971 1166
				http://linguistics.arizona.edu/~carnie