FYI: Postdoc: Rochester Center for Language Sciences

Ash Asudeh asudeh at ccs.carleton.ca
Wed Dec 12 13:47:53 UTC 2007

Apologies for multiple copies.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeff Runner <runner at ling.rochester.edu>
Date: December 12, 2007 3:44:07 PM GMT+02:00
To: Ash Asudeh <asudeh at ccs.carleton.ca>
Subject: Postdoc: Rochester Center for Language Sciences

Please note the following post-doc opportunities for US citizens and
permanent residents at the Center for Language Sciences (University of
Rochester). We're looking for two outstanding post-doctoral
researchers who would be interested to join our vibrant
interdisciplinary research community as part of an NIH training grant
(usually for 2 years).

--Jeff Runner, Mike Tanenhaus, and Florian Jaeger

The Center for the Language Sciences at the University of Rochester
seeks one or more outstanding postdoctoral fellows for a NIH-funded
training grant. The Center brings together faculty and students with
interests in spoken and signed languages from the Departments of Brain
and Cognitive Sciences, Computer Science, Linguistics, and Philosophy,
as well as the interdepartmental program in Neuroscience. We encourage
applicants from any of these disciplines who have expertise in any
area of natural language.  The training faculty has combined expertise
in formal, behavioral, computational and brain-imaging approaches to
understanding the structure, processing and acquisition of natural
language, and we encourage applicants who work in any of these areas.
We are particularly interested in postdoctoral fellows who want to
contribute to an interdisciplinary community.

This year, in addition to the areas mentioned above, we welcome
applicants whose research interests include using or learning to use
experimental techniques (e.g., eye-tracking) to investigate the formal
syntactic and semantic properties of language structure and how they
interact with or affect language processing.

NIH fellowships are open only to US citizens or permanent residents.
Applicants should send a letter describing their graduate training and
research interests, a curriculum vitae, and arrange to have three
letters of recommendation sent to: Professor Michael K. Tanenhaus,
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Meliora Hall, University
of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14627-0268.  Electronic applications are
encouraged.  Please send electronic applications to mtan at bcs.rochester.edu
. Review of applications will begin on March 1 and continue until the
positions are filled.  Applicants should have defended their Ph.D.
thesis by June 15, 2008. The start date is flexible.