ILFGA Executive Committee Ballot

George Aaron Broadwell g.broadwell at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 13 20:24:47 UTC 2007

Dear ILFGA Members

     This year two members of the ILFGA Executive Committee will be
coming to the end of their terms.  We'd like to extend our deep thanks
to Bjarne Oersnes and Ida Toivonen for their years of service to our
association!

        ILFGA is now conducting elections to fill these two positions on the
Executive Committee.  The nominating committee of ILFGA has come up
with the following candidates:

==================
Miriam Butt

Joan Bresnan
==================

This year no additional nominations were submitted by the membership.  The
nominating committee considered, but rejected the idea of adding additional
candidates to the ballot.   (We encourage ILFGA members who hope for more
competitive elections to nominate themselves or another person for some
subsequent election!)

I believe most of the ILFGA membership is familiar with the candidates, If
you would like more information, you can view  information from the ILFGA
database on them at:

http://www-lfg.stanford.edu/lfg/ilfga/member-database/ilfga-namelist.html

     Please vote by sending both me ( g.broadwell at albany.edu) and Bjarne
Oersnes (boe.id at cbs.dk) a message with your
choices; please do NOT send your ballot to the entire ILFGA mailing
list. (It will help me manage the mail if you put ILFGA in the subject
line of your e-mail.)

Please read the instructions below carefully. All ballots must
be received by August 15, 2005.

    Thank you,

    George Aaron Broadwell
    ILFGA Secretary-Treasurer

==================

International Lexical Functional Grammar Association
Executive Committee Ballot

Please rank as many of the following as you wish, in accord with the
instructions below:

Joan Bresnan

Miriam Butt

====================

!!!VOTING PROCEDURE!!!

At the LFG01 meeting, it was decided to use preferential voting
because past election results had been so close; this worked very well
for subsequent elections and is being continued.  The basic idea is that
you rank the candidates instead of just choosing two (you need not
rank all of them).

PREFERENTIAL VOTING works like this (description and example are from
web.mit.edu/ua/elections/pref.html):

1. You must pick a first choice. After that, you *may* rank as many
others as
   you would like.

2. When the votes are tallied, the computer compiles all the first
choice votes.
   It then eliminates the candidate with the least number of votes,
   say Candidate Goofy. The computer then looks at each of the ballots
   that had Goofy ranked first, counts up all the votes for second
   place, and then adds those to the first place ranking for those
   people. This process continues until one candidate has a majority
   of the votes. If no candidate gains a simple majority, the process
   continues until only two candidates are left.

Therefore, preferential voting only matters if the person you place
first comes out last in any round - then your vote switches to a vote
for your second place choice, and so on. Any vote for a candidate, no
matter what rank, is still a vote for him or her, and can only help
his/her chances of winning.

If you don't want to see a particular candidate in office, you should
not rank him or her.

EXAMPLE:

First round:
  Bongo the Gerbil 100 votes
  A Dancing Monkey in a Top Hat 95 votes
  Minnie Mouse 58 votes
  Mickey Mouse 55 votes
  Goofy 25 votes (Next ranking : 9 votes Dancing Monkey, 6 votes Bongo,
5 vote
  Mickey, 2 votes Minnie, 3 votes no preference)
  No Preference 10 votes

Second round:
  Bongo 106 votes
  Dancing Monkey 104 votes
  Minnie 60 votes (Next ranking : 25 votes Dancing Monkey, 19 votes
Bongo, 16
  votes no preference)
  Mickey 60 votes (Next ranking : 22 votes Bongo, 19 votes Dancing
Monkey, 19
  votes no preference)
  No Preference 13 votes

Third round:
  Bongo 147 votes
  Dancing Monkey 148 votes
  No Preference 48

Notice that A Dancing Monkey in a Top Hat wins the election even though
he/she/it did not have the greatest number of first choice votes.  THK: In
our
case, Bongo and Dancing Monkey would win since we are electing two
candidates, which in this example is the same as what happens in the
first round.