Computational Linguistics at the 18th CIL in Seoul 2008

Hans Uszkoreit uszkoreit at DFKI.DE
Sat May 19 19:15:51 UTC 2007

ATTENTION:  D E A D L I N E  A P P R O A C H I N G

As you all know, about every five years linguists from all over the
world meet at an
International Congress of Linguists (CIL).  Next year the 18th CIL
will take placeJuly 21-26, 2008 at Korea University in Seoul.
(The venues of the last four CIL conferences were in Prague, Paris,
Quebec and Berlin.)

CIL 2008 will have a major (parallel) session on Computational
Linguistics.  This CIL
session offers an opportunity to discuss new results and core issues
of our transdisciplinary
field, to meet large numbers of linguists and to catch up with new
developments in
international linguistics.  I was asked to organize this session.

Three page abstracts are due May 31st 2007

If you plan to submit a paper, please refer to the attached information.
I hope to see you at the 18th CIL in Seoul. (http://www.cil18.org)

With best regards

Hans Uszkoreit

Other Important Dates:

● August 31, 2007: Notification of acceptance.
● February 15, 2008: Deadline for submitting the final version of
the accepted
    abstract for publication in the proceedings of  CIL18.
● September 30, 2008: Deadline for submitting the final version of
the presented
    paper to be published on a CD.

Form and submission of abstracts:

An abstract (.pdf or .doc file) should be up to 3 pages long,
including data and references.
(Do not submit a .doc file if you are using any language-specific or
other non-standard fonts.)
The abstract should start with the title of the paper, followed by
the text of the abstract.
Please do not include the author's name in the abstract. On a
separate page, please give
the author's name, affiliation, e-mail address, telephone number,
mailing address, the paper
title and the session number(title).

Please send the abstract and the author's information to both
cil18 at cil18.org and uszkoreit at dfki.de.

Description of the Session "Computational Linguistics"

Computational linguistics is motivated and scientifically rooted in
three scientific fields studying language, technology and cognition.
It drives its results from novel connections between these fields,
such as the use of specialized information technology for qualitative
and quantitative linguistic research or the exploitation of
linguistic theory and insights for the development of novel software
applications.
Other important links involve the combination of linguistic theory
and formal models of cognition as well as the embedding of language
competence into multi-modal computer interfaces.  Overarching formal
and experimental themes are the computability of language
and models of language communication, language acquisition and
language change.

In line with the theme of the Congress, the emphasis of the session
will be on computational models and applications of linguistic
analyses and theories.  Such implementations may serve the better
understanding and gradual improvement of the underlying
linguistic theories.  They may also serve some concrete functional
needs in advanced software applications.

But papers are also invited that present research on other novel
connections between linguistic, cognitive and engineering approaches
with the aim to further our understanding of language or to provide
useful and user-friendly applications for our daily life.

The range of computational methods for processing language has
broadened significantly.  Non-discrete mathematical approaches
involving statistical methods, optimization techniques and neural
networks play an increasingly dominant role in computational
linguistics.
For this session, we explicitly extend the focus beyond purely
linguistic methods to include so-called hybrid approaches to language
processing such as combinations of statistical techniques and
linguistic models as well as informative comparisons between competing
paradigms.

Papers are invited from all sub-disciplines of computational
linguistics such as:

computational lexcology/lexicography,
computational phonology,
computational morphology,
computational syntax,
computational semantics,
computational pragmatics,
computational typology,
computational psycholinguistics,
computational sociolinguistics,
computational historical linguistics,

and from all language technology application areas including but not
limited to:

language checking and other authoring tools,
language teaching and e-learning,
automatic and machine aided translation/interpretation,
business and technology intelligence,
information and knowledge management,
WWW search and navigation,
automation in customer care,