LFG 2008 - First call for papers (revised)

Josef van Genabith josef at COMPUTING.DCU.IE
Sat Nov 3 23:40:17 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I strongly agree with Adams, Martin and Ash that encouraging diversity
is a good thing.

I don't, however, see LFG conferences as any other "Linguistics
Conference", especially so if we are to encourage diversity!

 From early on LFG had strong formal underpinnings and computational
interpretations - in fact they were core motivations for it. So, if we
are all for diversity we should encourage contributions in

- theoretical linguistics
- applied linguistics
- field linguistics
- formal/mathematical underpinnings
- computational interpretations
- computational applications
- statistical methods

and what have you. The interaction of this is one thing that makes LFG
interesting.

So diversity (in a number of dimensions) is a good thing. The question
is how to achieve it.

If proper peer review based on open competition is the best guarantee
for quality, then constraining open competition is going to have an
adverse effect on quality, every time the constraints apply (and no
matter how well they are intended to be). Compromising quality is not
going to make LFG conferences more attractive.

Fortunately, we have other mechanisms to support diversity: in addition to

- regular papers

we have

- poster sessions
- student sessions
- panels
- workshops
- tutorials

I think it'd be wise to go back to open and unsconstrained competition
for  paper submissions  a.s.a.p and  use the  other mechanisms to ensure
diversity.

Regards,

Josef