Pronuns in Danish

Tania Strahan tania at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Mar 3 16:56:22 UTC 2008

Hi Bjarne,

thanks for your comments. Now I've had time to digest them (and read
your paper, which was pleasingly enlightening, thanks!), how's this
for a suggestion: Based on the examples you gave, specificity is
clearly important in the Danish pronoun-determiner thingy, so could
the lexical entries for 'ham' and 'hende' include a specification of
spec=+, meaning these pronouns can only unify with something that is
also specific? This would presumably include proper names, PPs,
restrictive relative clauses and definite DPs, which would be very
nice indeed. In Norwegian and Swedish it would be 'han' and 'ho' which
carried this specification.

I'm not sure how to deal with the pronoun appearing with either the
definite suffix or the definite article though, since eg Vestjysk
requires just the article (not having the suffix), but Swedish appears
to allow either the suffix or both the suffix and article (according
to several sources), as you say Standard Danish also allows.

But how does spec=+ sound as part of the lexical entry for certain pronouns?

best,
Tania