LFG systems and LFG computer implementations

Mark Johnson Mark_Johnson at Brown.edu
Fri Apr 2 03:18:06 UTC 2010

The XLE system has a stochastic component, which Ron Kaplan and Stefan
Riezler and others have described in great detail in a number of
papers.  I like to think I had a hand in starting this work; see

@InProceedings{Johnson99c,
   author =     "Mark Johnson and Stuart Geman and Stephen Canon and
                   Zhiyi Chi and Stefan Riezler",
   title =     "Estimators for Stochastic ``Unification-Based''
                   Grammars",
   booktitle =     "The Proceedings of the 37th Annual Conference of the
                   Association for Computational Linguistics",
   year =     1999,
   publisher =     "Morgan Kaufmann",
   address =     "San Francisco",
   pages =     {535-541}
}

which describes the basic stochastic LFG framework and the
machine-learning techniques used to learn it.

Best,

Mark