LFG systems and LFG computer implementations

Josef van Genabith josef at COMPUTING.DCU.IE
Fri Apr 2 07:43:00 UTC 2010

Hi Lori,

I had sent a mail to Stefan earlier but not to the LFG list. There are a
number of treebank-based LFG systems developed at the NCLT in DCU as
part of the GramLab project for a number of languages for parsing and
generation (some core references below).

A demo with one of the resources for English is available at

http://lfg-demo.computing.dcu.ie/lfgparser.html

Some of the the PhD theses are available at
http://www.nclt.dcu.ie/gramlab/ but this site needs updating.

Regards,

Josef

------------------ cut here ------------------------------

1. Parsing

English - Penn-II treebank:

Aoife Cahill, Michael Burke, Ruth O'Donovan, Stefan Riezler, Josef van
Genabith and Andy Way. 2008. /Wide-Coverage Deep Statistical Parsing
using Automatic Dependency Structure Annotation /in Computational
Linguistics, Vol. 34, No. 1, pages 81-124

Ruth O'Donovan, Michael Burke, Aoife Cahill, Josef van Genabith and Andy
Way. 2005. Large-Scale Induction and Evaluation of Lexical Resources
from the Penn-II and Penn-III Treebanks./ Computational Linguistics/,
Volume 31, 3, MIT Press, pp328-365.

Aoife Cahill, Michael Burke, Ruth O'Donovan, Josef van Genabith, and
Andy Way. Long-Distance Dependency Resolution in Automatically Acquired
Wide-Coverage PCFG-Based LFG Approximations. In /ACL-04, Proceedings of
the 42nd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational
Linguistics/, July 21-26 2004, Barcelona, Spain, pages 320-327

German TiGer:

Ines Rehbein and Josef van Genabith. 2009. Automatic acquisition of LFG
resources for German – as good as it gets. In LFG09, /Proceedings of the
14^th International LFG Conference/, Cambridge, U.K., 2009, CSLI
Publications, Stanford University, USA, pp. 480-500.

Aoife Cahill, Michael Burke, Martin Forst, Ruth O'Donovan, Christian
Rohrer, Josef van Genabith, Andy Way. 2005. Treebank-Based Acquisition
of Multilingual Unification Grammar Resources. /Journal of Research on
Language and Computation/, Volume 3, Number 2, Springer, pp247-279

French MFT/FTB

Natalie Schluter and Josef van Genabith, Dependency Parsing Resources
for French: Converting Acquired Lexical Functional Grammar F-Structure
Annotations and Parsing F-Structures Directly, in /Nodalida 2009
Conference Proceedings/, 2009, (eds.) Kristiina Jokinen and Eckhard
Bick, pp.166-173.

Natalie Schluter and Josef van Genabith, Treebank-Based Acquisition of
LFG Parsing Resources for French, Proceedings of the Sixth International
Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'08) , pp.2909-2916, Marrakech,
Morocco, May 28-30, 2008, ISBN 2-9517408-4-0

Natalie Schluter and Josef van Genabith. Preparing, Restructuring and
Augmenting a French Treebank: Lexicalised Parsing or Coherent Treebanks?
In /Proceedings of the 10^th Conference of the Pacific Association of
Computational Linguistics/ PACLING 2007, Melbourne Australia

Spanish Cast3LB

Grzegorz Chrupala and Josef van Genabith, 2006, Using Machine-Learning
to Assign Function Labels to Parser Output for Spanish. In
/COLING-ACL’06, Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the International
Committee on Computational Linguistics and the Association for
Computational Linguistics 2006/, Sydney, Australia

Grzegorz Chrupala and Josef van Genabith, 2006, Improving Treebank-Based
Automatic LFG Induction for Spanish, In /Proceedings of the 11^th
International Conference on Lexical Functional Grammar/, 10-13 July,
2006, Konstanz, Germany

Chinese CTB

Yuqing Guo, Haifeng Wang and Josef van Genabith, Recovering Non-Local
Dependencies for Chinese, in /Proceedings of the Joint Conference on
Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing and Natural Language
Learning/ (EMNLP-CoNLL 2007), Prague, Czech Republic. pp.257-26

Yuqing Guo, Josef van Genabith and Haifeng Wang: Acquisition of
Wide-Coverage, Robust, Probabilistic Lexical-Functional Grammar
Resources for Chinese. In /Proceedings of the 12^th International
Conference on Lexical Functional Grammar/, July 28-30, 2007, Stanford, CA

Arabic ATB

Lamia Tounsi, Mohammed Attia and Josef van Genabith. 2009. Automatic
Treebank-Based Acquisition of Arabic LFG Dependency Structures.
/Proceedings of the// EACL-Workshop on Computational Approaches to
Semitic Languages/, March 31, 2009, Athens, Greece, pp.45-52.

2. Generation

Yuqing Guo, Josef van Genabith and Haifeng Wang, 2008. Dependency-Based
N-Gram Models for General Purpose Sentence Realisation. In /Proceedings
of the 22th International Conference on Computational Linguistics
(COLING 2008),/ pages 297-304. 18-22 August 2008, Manchester, UK.

Deirdre Hogan, Conor Cafferkey, Aoife Cahill and Josef van Genabith,
Exploiting Multi-Word Units in History-Based Probabilistic Generation,
in /Proceedings of the Joint Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural
Language Processing and Natural Language Learning/ (EMNLP-CoNLL 2007),
Prague, Czeck Republic. pp.267-276

Aoife Cahill and Josef van Genabith. Robust PCFG-Based Generation using
Automatically Acquired LFG Approximations, In /COLING-ACL’06,
Proceedings of the Joint Conference of the International Committee on
Computational Linguistics and the Association for Computational
Linguistics 2006/, Sydney, Australia, pages 1033-1040, ,ISBN 1-932432-65-5