passive vs. inchoative

George Aaron Broadwell g.broadwell at ALBANY.EDU
Thu Aug 19 18:41:11 UTC 2010

Dear Fatemeh,

One avenue you might pursue is the Aktionsart of the verbs involved.  So I
think that in English, "become" does not normally occur with a verb that is
in the Achievement class.

It seems to me that the following judgments show that we get passives, but
not inchoatives, of verbs liked 'snap' and 'notice':

John noticed the poster.
The poster was noticed (by John)
??The poster became noticed.

Mary snapped the beans.
The beans were snapped (by Mary)
??The beans became snapped.

There are a few Google examples of "became snapped"  and "became noticed",
but they seem odd to me.  I wonder if other English speakers agree...

If this is correct for English, you might check to see if verbs of all
aspectual classes occur with Sod.

Thanks,
Aaron Broadwell

--