a challenging passive in Persian

George Aaron Broadwell g.broadwell at ALBANY.EDU
Fri Aug 27 01:40:02 UTC 2010

Dear Fatemah,

These examples look like what is sometimes called a 'non-promotional'
passive.  (I believe the term is originally due to T. Givon. )  These are
passives where the Actor is suppressed, but the Undergoer still shows signs
of being an object.

The correct analysis of the Spanish impersonal passive is controversial, but
on one view, we have a situation similar to the Persian in examples like the
following:

Active:
El curó a los niños.              'He cured the children.'
he cured to the children

Impersonal Passive:
Se curó a los niños.           'The children were cured.'
pass cured to the children

The "a" is a differential object marker which appears before a specific
human object.  So that seems to argue that "a los niños" is still the object
of the sentence.

(Others more familiar with the right analysis of Spanish, please jump in!)

I believe that there is a similar impersonal passive in Irish, which might
be worth investigating.

Aaron Broadwell

--
George Aaron Broadwell