syntax textbook for undergrads

Stephen Wechsler wechsler at mail.utexas.edu
Thu May 13 17:14:01 UTC 2010

I'm looking for an introductory syntax textbook for undergraduates,
and wonder if anyone has recommendations (and don't be shy about
recommending your own book, if you've written one).  I have used many
different books over the years, but I still haven't found exactly what
I want.

My current favorite is Paul Kroeger's 'Analyzing Syntax'.  I like the
rich, interesting, cross-linguistic coverage and clear presentation.
The balance of theory and description is about right.  The only
problem is that it is too advanced for many of my students.

I'm also a fan of C. L. Baker's 'English Syntax', and I use it for
classes on English syntax.  The students understand it.  It lays
everything out step by step with a bare minimum of technical
terminology (yet still not dumbed down).  My ideal textbook would have
Kroeger's range of languages and phenomena, but directed at the level
of student that Baker's book seems to be aimed at.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

--Steve