syntax textbook for undergrads

Stephen Wechsler wechsler at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 14 15:48:07 UTC 2010

Hej,
I have used that book (Sag et al).  It is one of the best intro syntax
books ever, in my opinion.  I love its precision.  My use of that
textbook probably played a role in inspiring one of my then-undergrads
to go on to become an excellent syntactician.  But I'm looking for
something different.  Others I already know about:

--Carnie, 'Syntax, a generative introduction'
--Radford, 'Transformational syntax'
--Kim & Sells, 'English Syntax'

All of these have positive points.

The closest to my needs, I think, are Paul Kroeger's other book
('Analyzing Grammar') and Tallerman's 'Understanding syntax'.  I'll
probably use one or both of those--  unless something better comes
along.  (Yes, I'm still open to suggestions.)   Thanks again, y'all.

--Steve