constraining equations question

Ash_Asudeh Ash_Asudeh at carleton.ca
Wed Apr 27 14:16:59 UTC 2011

Dear Steve

That's a difficult question, but my understanding is that it should be satisfied: since the constraint has existential force, it should at least logically be satisfied if
there is some f-structure that satisfies it and, on your scenario, there is some f-structure that satisfies it.

In the scenario you describe, I think the final f-structural result would not be well-formed, because it would be disconnected, but that is for reasons other than the constraining equation in question (i.e., it would be due to a general, global constraint on f-structural well-formedness).

Ash