educational platform for implementing LFG?

Adam Przepiorkowski adamp at ipipan.waw.pl
Sat Feb 26 15:48:31 UTC 2011

Dear All,

I am a relative LFG newcomer, so apologies, if this is a very simple
question.

For my "Linguistic Engineering – Constructions" course at the University
of Warsaw I've always used TRALE for implementing HPSG grammars.  This
year I'd like to include an LFG module.  Could you recommend a platform
for implementing LFG that could be used for such educational purposes?

An ideal platform would be characterised by:

– convenient licence (hence, XLE does not seem to be a viable option;
  obviously, open source software would be best),

– shallow learning curve (implementing simple LFG grammars should be…
  simple),

– Linux-based (but Windows is an option, as well; we don't use Macs,
  though),

– availability of simple example grammars for English (and/or German,
  and/or some Slavic language),

– UTF-8 aware (we'd hate to have to remove Półiśh diąćritićś).

What do other people use for teaching and implementing LFG?

I'll be happy to send a summary of any replies I get off-line.

Best,

Adam P.

--
Adam Przepiórkowski                   ˈadam ˌpʃɛpjurˈkɔfskʲi
http://nlp.ipipan.waw.pl/  ___  Linguistic Engineering Group