summary (Re: educational platform for implementing LFG?)

Adam Przepiorkowski adamp at ipipan.waw.pl
Tue Mar 1 07:44:28 UTC 2011

Dear All,

In the replies I got, 3 systems were mentioned:

XLE – I was encouraged not to give up on it too easily, despite the
current licence; also, apparently there are some initial plans to make
it open source, but no specific dates are set yet;

Medley – the legacy system that preceded XLE
(http://www2.parc.com/isl/groups/nltt/medley/), with the following
comment: "I think it should be fine for educational purposes. It has a
good handbook, also available from the same site. The FTP directory
contains a linux version.";

XLFG5 – http://www.xlfg.org/, with the following comment: "I've been
using it to teach elementary syntax for a number of years now, and
although it is poorly documented…, it is **very** convenient: everything
works from a simple web interface (so there is no installation hassle
and no licensing issue), and the syntax for grammar writig is as close
to standard LFG as you can imagine. The design features might be
undersized if this is an advanced class, but for an elementary class it
is great.

Many thanks to everybody who replied: Doug Arnold, Ash Asudeh, Olivier
Bonami, Paul Meurer, Koenraad De Smedt and Annie Zaenen.

Best,

Adam P.

--
Adam Przepiórkowski                             ˈadam ˌpʃɛpjurˈkɔfskʲi
http://nlp.ipipan.waw.pl/ ___________ Zespół Inżynierii Lingwistycznej