[ParSem] semantic roles for LFG grammar engineering

Emily M. Bender ebender at UW.EDU
Sun Feb 2 22:22:03 UTC 2014

Dear Adam,

I looked into this some for my recent book, and from what I could find, no
one has ever produced a fully comprehensive set of semantic roles (see Ch
8, thing #68).  I'm not familiar with Sowa's system, but I think what's
going on in VerbNet is that role names are re-used across predicates but
not meant to carry the same content in those different uses.

Emily

Bender, Emily M. 2013. *Linguistic Fundamentals for Natural Language
Processing: 100 Essentials from Morphology and
Syntax*<http://dx.doi.org/10.2200/S00493ED1V01Y201303HLT020>.
Synthesis Lectures on Human Language Technologies #20. Morgan & Claypool
Publishers.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Adam Przepiorkowski <adamp at ipipan.waw.pl>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> [Apologies for cross-posting.]
>
> In the context of enriching the Polish LFG grammar with semantic
> representation, we are looking for a set of semantic roles (Agent,
> Patient, Beneficiary, etc.) that could be used to mark arguments (and
> possibly adjuncts) of verbs and other predicates.  This set should be
> exhaustive in the sense that it should be possible to assign – more or
> less deterministically – a semantic role to any argument (and possibly
> adjunct) of any predicate.  For this reason the standard – in LFG
> textbooks – sets of some 7 semantic roles do not seem sufficient.
> Instead, we are looking at larger repertoires proposed in VerbNet, in
> FrameNet and in John W. Sowa's work on Knowledge Representation.
>
> We don't have any strong views about any particular set of semantic
> roles, as long as it is exhaustive and applicable to real texts (as
> opposed to being merely theoretically interesting).  Has anybody in the
> LFG community faced a similar task?  If so, what set of semantic roles
> would you recommend?  At the moment, we are wavering between VerbNet and
> Sowa's system, both being more manageable than numerous roles offered
> in FrameNet, but we are open to other solutions.
>
> Many thanks, best regards,
>
> Adam P.
>
> --
> Adam Przepiórkowski                          ˈadam ˌpʃɛpjurˈkɔfskʲi
> http://clip.ipipan.waw.pl/ ____ Computational Linguistics in Poland
> http://jlm.ipipan.waw.pl/ ___________ Journal of Language Modelling
> http://zil.ipipan.waw.pl/ ____________ Linguistic Engineering Group
> http://nkjp.pl/ _________________________ National Corpus of Polish