semantic roles for LFG grammar engineering

Miriam Butt miriam.butt at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Tue Feb 4 09:19:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

and that is basically the strategy that PropBank has adopted. However,
they then run into their own issues as well.

Miriam

On 2/3/14 1:48 PM, Stefan Müller wrote:
> Dear Adam,
>
> I remember a workshop "Lexical semantics and linking in constraint-based
> theories" in Utrecht in 1999 where Dan Flickinger gave a talk arguing
> for using ARG1, ARG2, ARG3.
>
> This saves you all the trouble with the traditional roles and basically
> results in a system that is similar to what Dowty suggested.
>
> Otherwise you would end up calling the subject of "see" an experiencer
> and wondering why passives of "see" are possible even though passive is
> usually described as the suppression of the agent.
>
> The DELPH-IN project uses ARG1-ARGn and CoreGram too.
>
> Best wishes
>
>          Stefan

Miriam Butt
FB Sprachwissenschaft
Universitaet Konstanz
Fach 184		Tel: +49 7531 88 5109
78457 Konstanz		Fax: +49 7531 88 4865
Germany		             +49 7531 88 5115

miriam.butt at uni-konstanz.de
http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/butt

"Xander, don't talk Latin in front of the books."
	 Superstar, Buffy the Vampire Slayer