[LFG] Parser project?

Damir Cavar damir at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 1 13:04:57 UTC 2015

Hi there,

Thank you all! I understand that XLE and XLFG are both around, and that XLE could be open source, with the appropriate non-disclosure agreement with Xerox. Our institution, unfortunately, since it is state funded, cannot sign the license agreement with Xerox, it might neither be able to do that for XLFG, I guess. Complicated state laws and policies...

Independent of being available with licensing, both environments are not free, and exclude commercial use anyway.

We started working on an implementation of an open and free version of an LFG parser. I was wondering whether there is a code base that we could share, reuse, adapt etc. We are strongly interested in implementing a version with a real open source and a free license of the Apache type that would allow not only use in research, educational, and teaching environments, but also commercially. We were also thinking about making use of OpenFST to replace the functionalities of XFST or Foma in such a new environment, and potentially enable fuzzy or probabilistic morphologies. We would want to experiment with a PCFG backbone as well.

It would be great, if there is somewhere some code that we could reuse. So, if you know of something - free and open, though - let me know please. We will he happy to share a Git code repository publicly with whoever is interested. Our main focus is to implement the environment in C++ and Python. We will create a public repo on Bitbucket soon and let you know. If Xerox or others are thinking about changing their mind soon, and releasing things under a truly open license, let us know please. We could save some time then. :-)

Thanks a lot!

Damir