[LFG] Pictures of HeadLex (and the T model)

Miriam Butt miriam.butt at uni-konstanz.de
Tue Oct 4 15:36:59 UTC 2016

Thanks for the Pics!

And the substantial extra discussion :)

If one does not mean a T-model, one should then not visualize one's
architecture that way.

Miriam

On 30/09/16 17:04, Stefan Müller wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> These are the pictures of the HeadLex16 conference, the joint conference
> of LFG and HPSG:
>
> http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Bilder/2016/07/29/headlex-2016/
>
> As you can see, we had a lot of fun!
>
> One comment on this picture:
>
> http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Bilder/2016/07/29/headlex-2016/#gallery/60a4b00295f52655323531b3a5e4372f/3033
>
> Somebody (TM) suggested that HPSG is rather similar to GB since it has a
> T model as shown on the slide.
>
> There is a nice article by Jonas Kuhn about interfaces in constraint
> based theories:
>
> @incollection{Kuhn2007a,
> 	Address = {Oxford},
> 	Author = {Jonas Kuhn},
> 	Booktitle = {The {Oxford} Handbook of Linguistic Interfaces},
> 	Editor = {Gillian Ramchand and Charles Reiss},
> 	Pages = {613--650},
> 	Publisher = oup,
> 	Title = {Interfaces in Constraint-Based Theories of Grammar},
> 	Year = {2007}}
>
> He discusses LFG and HPSG and concludes that interfaces are
> unproblematic for these approaches and that they are right since they do
> not assume a strict level ordering as is assumed in GB and in a
> different form in Phase-based Minimalism.
>
> The T model was problematic since there are certain interactions between
> PF and LF. In order to capture those, features had to be stipulated in
> syntax that were needed to model these interactions.
>
> As far as phases are concerned they are also incompatible with what
> psycholinguists tell us. We do not wait till a phase (or phrase) is
> complete. Information is used and interpreted as soon as it is available
> independent of whether it is intonation or context information.
>
> HPSG is entirely compatible with this, it does not assume level ordering
> or T-models.
>
> As for the commonalities between HPSG and Minimalism (and Categorial
> Grammar) see
>
> http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Pub/unifying-everything.html
>
> Have a lot of fun with the pictures and the papers.
>
> Greetings from Berlin
>
>          Stefan

Miriam Butt
FB Sprachwissenschaft
Universitaet Konstanz
Fach 184			Tel: +49 7531 88 5109
78457 Konstanz		Fax: +49 7531 88 4865
Germany		             +49 7531 88 5115

miriam.butt at uni-konstanz.de
http://ling.uni-konstanz.de/pages/home/butt

"The detective seemed to remember reading that advertisers
used Scottish accents to suggest integrity and honesty."
Robert Galbraith, "A Career of Evil" (p. 108)