[LFG] LFG/XLE grammar of French

Leonel Figueiredo de Alencar leonel_de_alencar at yahoo.com.br
Fri Sep 22 14:54:09 UTC 2017

Dear colleagues:

Last year, Christoph Schwarze and I published the following introduction to the theory and formalism of Lexical-functional Grammar (LFG) and the development of computational grammars with the Xerox Linguistic Environment (XLE):

Christoph Schwarze and Leonel F. de Alencar. 2016. Lexikalisch-funktionale Grammatik. Eine Einführung am Beispiel des Französischen mit computerlinguistischer Implementierung(Lexical-Functional Grammar: A French-based Introduction with Computational Implementation). Tübingen: Stauffenburg. X, 271 pp. Stauffenburg Einführungen, 30. ISBN 978-3-95809-411-6.

http://lfg-book.blogspot.com.br/2016/01/new-lfg-books-cover.html?m=1

In eight chapters (lessons) the book explains the basic theoretical concepts of the theory using French examples and incrementally implements a middle-sized grammar of French in XLE. Each chapter describes a runnable grammar fragment with the respective positive and negative test files. A fragment of French verb morphology is also handled in chapter 7 by means of finite-state transducers using the Xerox Finite-state Tools (XFST).

Unfortunately the book is written in German. However, now I am pleased to announce that all code from the book (grammar fragments, test samples etc.) is freely available online:

https://github.com/lfg-french-grammar

Besides, I have recently published an article in English and Portuguese about FrGramm, a new version of the French grammar fragment from the book's chapter 8:

Link to the Portuguese version:
http://seer.fclar.unesp.br/alfa/article/view/8537

Link to the English version:

http://seer.fclar.unesp.br/alfa/article/download/8537/6749

FrGramm is also freely available in a repository of the above cited GithHub project. Comments, suggestions and bug reports are welcome!

Students of mine are presently working on adapting these French grammar fragments to Brazilian Portuguese. These grammar fragments of Brazilian Portuguese will also be made freely available.

Best regards,
Leonel

Prof. Dr. Leonel Figueiredo de Alencar
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures /
Linguistics Master's & PhD Program
Federal University of Ceará
http://complin.blogspot.com.br
http://linkedin.com/in/leonel-f-de-alencar-81268614b